View unanswered postsView active topics
It is currently September 19th, 2019, 4:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 George Smitherman Releases Plan To Get Toronto Moving 
Site Admin

Post George Smitherman Releases Plan To Get Toronto Moving
Here is a press release from the Smitherman's website:

Quote:
Integrated Transportation Plan Includes $7B In New Transit Investment – With Subways, Without Tolls

(Toronto) – George Smitherman today launched his Integrated Transportation Plan to get the city moving again.
"People are sick of being nickled and dimed at every turn and not being able to get around their city," Smitherman told a packed luncheon audience at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre. "My integrated transportation plan is ambitious. But it is also affordable and achievable. It has a decade-long horizon, beginning the day after the election."

Smitherman added that his Integrated Transportation Plan will focus on service, treating Toronto transit riders, motorists, cyclists and pedestrians alike as customers who expect and deserve courtesy, efficiency and cleanliness on their subways, streetcars, buses, roads and sidewalks.

Highlights of George Smitherman's Integrated Transportation Plan include:

* Transit – $7B in new transit infrastructure including completion of the subway to York University by 2015, a two-phase program of subway, light rail transit (LRT) and route expansion, smart fare cards by 2014 and free TTC for seniors on weekdays between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.;
* Motorists—no road tolls necessary, reduction of the City's $60 Vehicle Registration Tax, incentives and clear expectations to minimize days of disruption caused by road work, a "disruption index" to report in real-time on construction, enforcement of the rules of the road;
* Cyclists—safer routes on less busy main roads, curb-separated routes in high traffic areas, building of cross-town, dedicated bike "expressways" through hydro corridors, ravines and other non-roadways; and
* Pedestrians—respect for pedestrians, benchmarks and metrics to ensure timely repair of sidewalks.

George Smitherman's Integrated Transportation Plan will be funded in part by creation of a Toronto Transit Trust—a fund from special levies such as City Parking fees and transit-enabled development charges. The fund will help Toronto contribute its estimated $7 billion share in transportation infrastructure between now and 2020, with the federal and provincial governments contributing comparable amounts.

Creating a Toronto Transit Trust will also provide City Hall with greater leverage in negotiating with private sector partners to expand and enhance Toronto's transportation infrastructure. Smitherman emphasized that Toronto will always retain ownership of its transit system, even while partnering with private companies.

Transit expansion details:

* Phase One — now to 2015 — With Toronto hosting the Pan Am Games in 2015, we can improve the system for Torontonians, show the hemisphere how we get transit right and make the Games an unforgettable experience for the athletes and our visitors. By 2015, we should:

- Expedite the Spadina Subway extension to York University so it will be functioning to service the Pan Am Venues at York

- extend the Sheppard LRT east and extend it south to where the new Aquatic Centre will stand, and then beyond to the University of Toronto in Scarborough and Centennial College

- complete the Queen’s Quay Waterfront LRT from Union Station to the Portlands, through the fast emerging neighbourhoods and waterfront playground at East Bayfront, and the Pam Am Athletes Village in the West Donlands

- champion the actual build of the Rail Link from Union Station to Pearson Airport and insist that this line be prioritized for electrification

- see the tunneling for the Eglinton LRT get underway, and ensuring that it is extended further west to Weston Road, where it can integrate with the new Air Rail Link station

* Phase Two – 2015 to 2020 — In this phase we’ll get Toronto moving in all directions: eliminate the isolation of our City’s NorthWest and make it far more possible to get across town.

- Build Finch West LRT from Finch West Station to Highway 27, taking in Humber College and the Etobicoke General Hospital before linking up with the Woodbine Centre and the proposed development at the Woodbine Racetrack

- Build Sheppard Subway Line west from Yonge to link with Downsview Station

- Replace Scarborough RT with a Subway past Scarborough Town Centre

- Extend the Bloor-Danforth Subway Line from Kipling to East Mall and all the way to Sherway Gardens. This will bring significant growth and development to the city, both in taxes and also by creating jobs – both during construction, and in the long term.

Attachments:
gs2020b.jpg
gs2020b.jpg [ 69.58 KiB | Viewed 14757 times ]
May 28th, 2010, 3:43 pm
Planner

Post Re: George Smitherman Releases Plan To Get Toronto Moving
It's not a very ambitious plan to say the least (no DRL). But it's workable. It's modest. And it also takes too long in my opinion.

I like the Sherway and Scarborough Subway extensions (both pretty short but needed). The Sheppard West extension makes sense, but it isn't what I'd call a priority. The Sheppard East LRT continuing is unfortunate. I don't mind Finch West or the Eglinton LRT being underground more.

May 29th, 2010, 5:24 pm
Planner

Post Re: George Smitherman Releases Plan To Get Toronto Moving
This worries me slightly. I like it more than Transit City, as there are going to be more Metro's... but some aspects are a bitter pill...

a) Sheppard could have been extended eastwards to victoria park at least. That is not far, a reasonable modest distance.
b) I don't get what it is with the Eglinton plan... it's pretty much the same thing as Transit City. If some thirteen km are gonna be built, why not make that section a subway from the get go...

I do like that Sheppard West is in the plan. That is a needed link. The B-D's extension west too is interesting, and eastwards makes sense.

All in all I find this plan to be quite modest, at the most. It is nothing radical, just the bare minimum to get by somehow. We deserve better. It's a notch above transit city, kuddos for that, but eglinton not being a metro is a very bitter pill to swallow.

May 29th, 2010, 6:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]